Re: tuple too big error

От Neil Conway
Тема Re: tuple too big error
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 06:45:39PM +1000, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> Main problem with large objects with postgres 7.0 series (and before
> this) is that ext2 does not scale well when number of hard links in a
> given directory grows to anything like what I would expect a database with
> DNA sequences in it would require.
>
> I believe some directory splitting was planned for 7.1 release but I have
> not seen this in the beta releases.

AFAIK, in 7.1 LOs are all stored in a single file, so this is no longer
a concern.

You could also use a filesystem without the O(n) directory lookup of
traditional UNIX filesystems: I think ReiserFS has this, but I'm not
sure.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@home.com>
Get my GnuPG key from: http://klamath.dyndns.org/mykey.asc

I've made up my mind.  Don't try to confuse me with the facts.
        -- Indiana Senator Earl Landgrebe