Re: slow vacuuming...

От Hossein S. Zadeh
Тема Re: slow vacuuming...
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, David Powicki wrote:
>
> > Each day the DB grows to ~70MB in size and takes upwards of 25 minutes to
> > vacuum.  A 70MB DB doesn't sound too big and 25 minutes is a painfully long time
> > to wait.

I have had the same problem; I think it only occurs if you have any BLOB
field. In my case, vacuum on a ~100MB table took around 40 minutes (on a
dual PII 450, 256MB RAM, all 10,000RPM SCSI HDDs).

Here's what I did; I created a script that rather than just running vacuum
did the followings:

create a temp table identical to the large table
insert into temp (select * from old);
drop old
vacuum
create the old table
insert into old (select * from temp);
drop temp
vacuum

You can ditch the last vacuum if you wish (I was just being pedantic :-)
This whole thing took less than a minute on the same machine!!!

cheers,
Hossein