Re: Building in a different directory

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Building in a different directory
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Ian Lance Taylor writes:

> I normally prefer to build packages in directory other than the source
> directory.

This is supported by the development branch since last week.

> For that matter, is there any interest in converting Postgres to use
> automake?

The last time we thought about this we quickly rejected it.  A couple of
reasons:

* We don't want to sit and wait for config.status to finish writing its
200+ Makefile's, when we can get away with writing two or three and have
the rest include them.

* Automake requires using libtool, and libtool doesn't satisfy our needs
yet.

* Automake doesn't handle building Perl, Python, Tcl, Java code very well.

* Automake doesn't handle our documentation format.

* Automake is in many ways too insistent on the GNU standards for our
taste.

I don't see what it would buy us at this point.

> Is this the right mailing list to discuss this issue?

Generally, we discuss development on pgsql-hackers.