Coming attractions: VPATH build; make variables issue

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Coming attractions: VPATH build; make variables issue
Дата
Re: Coming attractions: VPATH build; make variables issue  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
I've just successfully completed an out of the box VPATH build of
PostgreSQL (i.e., putting the object files in a different directory
structure than the source files).  It should be ready to go within the
next few days.

This is an opportune time to sort out the use of the make variables
CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS, which are used interchangeably in some places.
Unfortunately, this would mean having to fix each of the targets

dep depend:$(CC) -MM $(CFLAGS) *.c >depend

(because the preprocessor options like -I and -D would be in CPPFLAGS).
I can install a hook to make this work specially without need to fix each
file, but that would require GNU make 3.76 for those using `make depend'.
I think this should not bother anyone too much, but I'm just letting you
know.  (Of course, `make depend' is obsolescent anyway.)