Re: Revisited: Transactions, insert unique.

От Joachim Achtzehnter
Тема Re: Revisited: Transactions, insert unique.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Today, in a message to Joachim Achtzehnter, Ed Loehr wrote:

> More efficient, yes.  However, given the lack of "statement-only"
> aborts and the state of pg error codes (all strings, no numeric
> codes), the programmatic/query check appears not only compulsory but
> simpler code-wise.

Given current limitations of the postgresql implementation, you are
certainly right: there is no other choice. I was merely countering the
suggestion that there was something wrong with the approach of simply
trying the insert first. It is a perfectly valid approach when used with
an SQL92 compliant database. We just have to live without it until
postgresql improves on this point. This is certainly not a show stopper
for most of us unless perhaps when somebody has to port a ton of code from
another database :-(

Joachim

--
private:  joachim@kraut.bc.ca    (http://www.kraut.bc.ca)