Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
Tom Lane writes:

> "Kardos, Dr. Andreas" <kardos@repas-aeg.de> writes:
> > 1) psql cannot be made since perl is used to generate sql_help.h. There is
> > no perl on this machine. So configure doesn't help if perl is used anyway.
>
> sql_help.h is (or should be) part of the distribution tarball.  Was it
> not present, or perhaps out-of-date?  In any case the Makefile for psql
> looks like it will not try to regenerate sql_help.h unless configure
> found perl.

That was the idea but it doesn't quite work this way. The variable PERL is
hard-coded to be "perl" in Makefile.global.in, no testing is actually
done. (Wasn't my idea.) This will essentially prevent building psql on
machines without Perl *if sql_help.h needs to be rebuilt* (which it
shouldn't).

This leads to a second problem, however. There's a subtle difference
between targets of the form

sql_help.h: # no dependencies, no action

and

sql_help.h: ; # no dependencies, "do nothing" as action

The latter would be the righter thing to do because the former will
consider sql_help.h updated whenever the rule is run. This will in turn
lead to recompilation of help.c and thus psql for every make run. I just
learned that the other day.

I have a fix for both issues (the first involves AC_CHECK_PROGS, the
second is obvious), should I go for it?

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: setsockopt(SO_REUSEADDR) (Re: Call for porting reports)