the book and sql92

От
Тема the book and sql92
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
I finished the book (version Nov 30). It is a very good one. clear and
straight to the point.
some comments:
A)
here are  my 2-cents:
1)I found a type in p55 line 4552: "than" should be "that".
2) when I read it, I feel the data in the example should be given.  i.e., all the inserts should be given (esp. on
p58).
B)
here is a big question: why you say that normalization is good for
data retreval (page 43 )? If my memory not wrong, it is ONLY good for data
update/insert/delete.

C) here is the main concern: sql92.
1) page3, after talk oss, the book should  mention sql92;         and treat the whole book accordingly (see next).
2) page10, \g should not be used as recommened one. ; should be used.        this is not sql92 (?), but ";" is
certainlythe most used.

3) page19: single quotation mark should be mentioned as the prefered      one. (sql92 ).
4) page23: /*  */ should be mentioned that it is not sql92.
5) page27: != is not sql92.
6) page28: regex is not sql92, so, should be considered ONLY           after tried like ;
7) page31: in "case", should indicate that "end" is not needed in sql92,    and thus very likely later version of pg
mayalso not need end.

8) page61: oid should be used in caution, because, in short,  it is not in     sql92.

in short, all non-necessary non-sql92 features should be put into
secondary position. all important feature that is not sql92 should
be pointed out.
we OSS/PG people should differentiate/advertize ourselves as
standard-keeper. so, this book should keep this as the main topic.
It will NOT confuse new user/beginner, if handled consistantly.
Also, it will add the worth-value for old pg user for sql92 info.

hope this book will not like all other vendor-oriented books where
as if sql86/92 never exists! sql86/92 are our friends, even family member!

Kai