Re: [SQL] the book and sql92

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [SQL] the book and sql92
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
> I finished the book (version Nov 30). It is a very good one. clear and
> straight to the point.
> some comments:
> A)
> here are  my 2-cents:
> 1)I found a type in p55 line 4552: "than" should be "that".

Fixed.  Thanks.

> 2) when I read it, I feel the data in the example should be given.
>    i.e., all the inserts should be given (esp. on p58).

Well, the issue here is that I really have not developed enough data to
show a meaningful output for this, and I don't think it is worth the
major space needed to insert it.  That is why I left it out.

> B)
> here is a big question: why you say that normalization is good for
> data retreval (page 43 )? If my memory not wrong, it is ONLY good for data
> update/insert/delete.

Changed to 'data lookup' because without normalization, you can't lookup
information about a specific customer very easily.

> C) here is the main concern: sql92.
> 1) page3, after talk oss, the book should  mention sql92;
>           and treat the whole book accordingly (see next).

I disagree.  This is an intro/concepts.  I emphasize standard SQL ways
as much as possible.  Yesterday I changed now() to CURRENT_TIMESTAMP for
this reason, and if you see any other cases where I use non-standard
more, let me know.  However, this is just to get them started.  They
want results.  Worrying about standard SQL at this point is not a good
idea.  Get them started first.  I emphasize that, but don't want to be
pointing out saying "don't do this, and don't do that" at this point.

> 2) page10, \g should not be used as recommened one. ; should be used.
>         this is not sql92 (?), but ";" is certainly the most used.

\g used very rarely, but it should be shown to show consistency with
other psql commands.

> 3) page19: single quotation mark should be mentioned as the prefered
>       one. (sql92 ).

single mentioned first.

> 4) page23: /*  */ should be mentioned that it is not sql92.

Mentioned last.

> 5) page27: != is not sql92.

Many db's support this.

> 6) page28: regex is not sql92, so, should be considered ONLY
>            after tried like ;

Again, see above.

> 7) page31: in "case", should indicate that "end" is not needed in sql92,
>      and thus very likely later version of pg may also not need end.

No need.

> 8) page61: oid should be used in caution, because, in short,  it is not in
>       sql92.

> in short, all non-necessary non-sql92 features should be put into
> secondary position. all important feature that is not sql92 should
> be pointed out.
>
> we OSS/PG people should differentiate/advertize ourselves as
> standard-keeper. so, this book should keep this as the main topic.
> It will NOT confuse new user/beginner, if handled consistantly.
> Also, it will add the worth-value for old pg user for sql92 info.
>

> hope this book will not like all other vendor-oriented books where
> as if sql86/92 never exists! sql86/92 are our friends, even family member!

That is not the scope of this book.

Pennsylvania19026

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: