Re: [INTERFACES] Can PostgreSQL be used in a C++ application

От Rich Shepard
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Can PostgreSQL be used in a C++ application
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Wenhao Meng wrote:

> I am developing an application using VDK which is C++ wraper over gtk+. Can
> someone tell me if I can use PostgreSQL in this application. Is there
> PostgreSQL++ for C++?

Wenhao,
 The short answer to your question is "yes and no." The slighly longer
answer is learning how a database application goes together.
 There are three major components to a database application. From the top
down they are:
 1.) The user interface (UI). In your case, you are using gtk+.
 2.) The middleware. This is the glue which connects the UI to the database
engine. In your case it's C++.
 3.) The database engine. This is where postgres resides. It is the back
end of your application and works with almost any front end and middleware.
 Plan your application so that each component is handled separately. You
can develop the postgres back end and the UI front end completely
independently of each other. Your middleware (C++ for you, C for me) is the
glue which connects the two.

HTH,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
                      Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)             Making environmentally-responsible mining
happen.(SM)                               --------------------------------           2404 SW 22nd Street | Troutdale,
OR97060-1247 | U.S.A.+ 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard@appl-ecosys.com