Re: When do I Vacuum ?

От Roderick A. Anderson
Тема Re: When do I Vacuum ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Jan Wieck wrote:

>     The question how often to vacuum depends on the database use.
>     As  a  rule  of  thumb  I'd suggest start with vacuuming when
>     approx. 10-30% of the data has been touched (UPDATED/DELETED)

Which brings up an interesting thought.  Is there any way to query the
databae and find out how much data has been 'CHANGED' since the last
vacuum?  I don't remember seeing any mention of this for a year or
longer in either GENERAL or HACKERS.
   If there is or could be, a low usage database could be probed and
then vacumm run if needed.  Not sure if the CPU cycles to run the cron
job and query are lower than the 'just do it' on a set schedule would
be.

Cheers,
Rod
--