Re: When do I Vacuum ?

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: When do I Vacuum ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Carsten Gerhardt wrote:
> I didn't read the book, but I also read that one vacuum per day would by
> enough. But my DB runs on a P100 with 64MB ram :-( after 20 to 30
> inserts it seems to slow down, so I vacuum once an houre (at main working time)
> and now I've less problems 8)

    That   sounds  like  you're  doing  some  joins  of  non-  or
    insufficient indexed tables, do you?

    The question how often to vacuum depends on the database use.
    As  a  rule  of  thumb  I'd suggest start with vacuuming when
    approx. 10-30% of the data has been touched (UPDATED/DELETED)
    and  play  around  with it from there.  It all depends pretty
    much on the DB usage profile of your application.

    Note that the behaviour of  vacuum  will  change  with  v7.2,
    making more frequent vacuum runs lesser painful.

Jan