Re: pg_log deleted - what to do?

От Ralf Tschiersch
Тема Re: pg_log deleted - what to do?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi -

thanks for you answer. pg_dump* brings: nothing. Neither schemes, nor
data. Like a direct select, it is not working proper. The backend is the
problem. Or is it possible to dump without connecting a server? No, I
don't see that...

What do you (Bruce) think about modifying the source for the result of
"every transaction is okay" for doing one (and only one) pg_dump? I think
the effect that with a deleted pg_log no transactin ever seems to be okay,
the silly results are "logical". The backend-server thinks that no tuple
is "freed" at all... so let's free them altogether "manually". This
affects the system-tables, too, and that is the reason why the effect is
so silly... I'll let you know and would appreciate some advise on that
point

Greetings from rainy sunday night in Germany...
Ralf

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, please try pg_dump or pg_dumpall.  The database will not usable, but
> may be backup-able.
>

> > Hi -
> >
> > I've tried this already, with no success. More details:
> >
> > the "postgres"-database shows:
> >
> > postgres=> \d
> > Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!
> >
> > postgres=> select * from pg_database;
> > datname   |datdba|encoding|datpath
> > ----------+------+--------+----------
> > template1 |    26|       0|template1
> > (1 row)
> >
> > Whew - where are the databases?
> > Connecting a (former) existing database shows:
> >
> > dbx1=> \d
> > Couldn't find any tables, sequences or indices!
> > dbx1=> select * from gp;
> > kid|typ|var|data
> > ---+---+---+----
> > (0 rows)
> >
> > But the File is there!
> >
> > -rw-------   1 postgres daemon      16384 Sep 30 03:46 data/base/dbx1/gp
> >
> > It's horrible. I know that I had to do a backup, but things change fast!
> > Its seems that Postgres did a "reset" and does not know that there is
> > pretty much it could deliver. Setting up a fres installation with the
> > exact table and properties ist okay, but copying the
> > data/base/dbname-Files into this new place does not the trick.
> >
> > Thanks for your care...
> >
> > Ralf
> >

> > On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > Can the user rename the /data directory, do initdb, save the pg_log
> > > file, move the old /data back into place, add the new pg_log, and do a
> > > backup of his data?
> > >
> > > I thought this would work, but am not sure.

> > > --
> > >   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
> > >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 853-3000
> > >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
> > >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Сообщение: Re: pg_log deleted - what to do?
Сообщение: Re: pg_log deleted - what to do?