Problems with >2GB tables on Linux 2.0

От gjerde@icebox.org
Тема Problems with >2GB tables on Linux 2.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,
I saw a message a couple of weeks ago from someone having problems with
larger than 2GB tables.  I have similar problems.

PostgreSQL: anon-cvs as of today (2/5/1999)
OS: Redhat Linux 5.2 (running 2.0.35)

I created a database called mcrl, and a table called mcrl3_1.
I copied in a set of 450MB of data twice(which comes to pg file size of
2.4GB or so).

When it hit 2GB I got this message: mcrl=> copy mcrl3_1 FROM '/home/gjerde/mcrl/MCR3_1.txt'; ERROR:  mcrl3_1: cannot
extend

The table file looks like this:
[postgres@snowman mcrl]$ ls -l mcrl*
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres 2147482624 Feb  5 16:49 mcrl3_1

It did NOT create the .1 file however, which I did see when I tried this
on 6.4.2(but still didn't work).

I looked around in the code(specifically src/backend/storage/smgr/*.c),
but couldn't figure too much of it out.  I'll have to figure out how
postgres handles the database files first..

Hope this helps,
Ole Gjerde