Re: [INTERFACES] Postgres Limitations

От Peter T Mount
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] Postgres Limitations
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jim Carroll <jim@carroll.com> writes:
> >> It is currently unclear as to what will happen when you table reaches 2G
> >> of storage on most file systems.  I think that >2G table handling got
> >> broken somehow.
>
> >  I know this is probably a "loaded" question, but  do  have  any  idea  what
> >  might be the cause of this limitation ?
>
> Postgres does have logic for coping with tables > 2Gb by splitting them
> into multiple Unix files.  Peter Mount recently reported that this
> feature appears to be broken in the current sources (cf hackers mail
> list archive for 25/Jan/99).  I don't think anyone has followed up on
> the issue yet.  (I dunno about the other developers, but I don't have a
> few Gb of free space to spare so I can't test it...)  You could make a
> useful contribution by either determining that the feature does work, or
> fixing it if it's busted.  Probably wouldn't be a very complex fix, but
> I've never looked at that part of the code.

I tested it as I had a few free gig, and although it split the file at
2gig, it wouldn't extend further.

I started browsing the source the other day, and at first it looks ok. I
have a feeling it's something simple, and I'm planning to try it again
this week end.

The problem I have is that it takes 4 hours for a table to reach 2Gb on my
system, so it's a slow process :-(

Peter

--
       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk