Re: Large object error in postgresql 6.4.2 sparc solaris

От Peter T Mount
Тема Re: Large object error in postgresql 6.4.2 sparc solaris
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Russ Welti wrote:

I'm CC'ing the interfaces list on this, as someone who has 6.4.2 running
on solaris may have an answer - however...

> Hello,
> I recently installed latest postgresql on Sun Ultra I and am trying to
> test the
> large object interface.
> The 'basic' test in interfaces/jdbc/example does work OK.
> But the 'blobtest' and the 'ImageViewer' examples both fail with the
> same
> symptom.  (I've got the postmaster on debug level 3 and not much
> interesting
> in the log file)
>
> Basically it says backend closed connection while java was trying to
> read from it.  Not sure why the blobtest example uses flashpath, it
> contains a commented out reference to an alternate jdbc method but
> it is nowhere to be found. The ImageViewer I'm not sure which method
> it uses.

First, the LargeObject api uses the FastPath api to talk to the backend,
hence it's use.

As for the alternative, I'll have to check what I meant there, as there
are several methods of either writing or reading a blob to the database.

> In general does the failure of those two examples suggest a
> diagnosis to you? I am using the default number of shared data
> buffers in my postmaster invocation. I am afraid to use postgresql
> for my project at this point because the install went flawlessly as
> far as I can see...

Occasionally I see this problem pop up, then it dissapears. The symptoms
tend to be something on the backend getting confused, and closing down
while the driver is waiting for a reply.

Can you send me (direct, not to the list) a copy of a debug trace from the
backend (using the -D flag to the postmaster). It may give me an idea on
where the problem lies.

Oh, for the record, I'm seeing a similar problem with the current cvs
backend and driver when running the tests on a Win95 box with Java2,
however I'm suspecting the JVM (or the networking classes) for this
instance, as I have some other networking code that reproduces the same
problem (has no connection with JDBC nor PostgreSQL).

Peter

--
       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk
      Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk