Re: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device

От Karel Zak - Zakkr
Тема Re: [HACKERS] RAW I/O device
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > On Linux now exist project for raw I/O device
> > (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/rawio/). Exist any plan (for far future)
> > with raw device for PgSQL? (TODO be quiet for this.)
>
>     Up to now we kept the storage manager overhead in the system.
>     Actually there is no way to tell which storage manager to use
>     for a particular table/index, so anything goes to the default
>     which is the magnetic disk one that  uses  single  files  for
>     each relation.
>
>     There   was  a  discussion  about  simplifying  it,  but  the
>     consensus was to let it as is because it is the  base  for  a
>     tablespace and/or raw device manager.
>
>     AFAIK,  noone  is  working  on  it,  so it must be really FAR
>     future. But the plan is still alive.
I raise the question, because the linux kernel opening with raw-device
new way for a faster and better database engine. I know (and agree)
that it not is priority for next year(s?). But it is interesting, and
is prabably good remember it during development, and not write (in future)
features which close this good way.
                    Karel