Re: [GENERAL] Why PostgreSQL is better than other commerial softwares?

От Howie
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Why PostgreSQL is better than other commerial softwares?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Albert Chen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using FreeBSD and PostgreSQL 6.4. I tell my advisor
> to try PostgreSQL, but he said:"Why PostgreSQL is better
> than other commercial softwares? If you could give me
> ten reasons, and I will give it a try."
> Would anyone tell me what's reason you like Postgres.
> Because it's free, powerful and have others, thanks.

i wouldnt say one thing is 'better' than the other.  it all comes down to
what you need done.

postgresql's pros:
    * highly user extensible
    * free source code ( a huge plus )
    * easy to work with
    * lots of opensource software supporting it

oracle's pros:
    * established company. sql is what they do.  period.
    * supports damn near any SQL you can throw at it
    * fairly quick, even on HUGE databases ( terabytes )

oracle has some nice tools available, as does postgres.  the difference is
that postgres' tools are normally opensource/free whereas you pay,
sometimes pay big bucks, for oracle's.

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
        "Oh my god, they killed init!  YOU BASTARDS!"