Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...

От Vince Vielhaber
Тема Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Tom Lane wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> > So, who took the root check out, and when, and why?
>
> Well, I didn't do it, but I agree with whoever took it out.  You cannot
> test at *configure* time to see whether the invoker of configure is
> root.  It is not reasonable to expect people to do the configure and
> build as root, even if they su to root for the install step (which
> is surely the WRONG thing for a Postgres install anyway!)

Hmmm.  That's how I do it, although it *is* a PITA to chown everything
to do the regression tests.  It just seems odd to have one package
install this way when all the other packages I install are done from
root.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2  Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com      "There is no outfit less
entitledto lecture me about bloat              than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow