Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Robert Haas wrote:

>>        listen_addresses = '*'
>
> This doesn't seem like a good thing to autogenerate from a security
> perspective.  I think we should not attempt to guess the user's
> requirements in this area.

Yeah, I don't want to be the guy who flips the switch for being less
secure by default.  Particularly because it's unlikely to do anything by
itself--need some changes to pg_hba.conf in most cases.  However, not
setting listen_addresses to something useful is a common newbie problem.
I was thinking of producing a warning to standard error with some
suggestions if listen_addresses isn't set to the usual '*', but not
actually changing the setting.

>>        max_fsm_pages = DBsize / PageSize / 8
>
> Isn't this moot for 8.4?

At some point this is going to target earlier versions as well so it's
good to have that intelligence in the app, even if it ends up not being a
setting that is altered.