Open Items/Release (was [HACKERS]: Shouldn't pg_settings.enumvals...)

От Greg Smith
Тема Open Items/Release (was [HACKERS]: Shouldn't pg_settings.enumvals...)
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Greg Smith wrote:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:WishlistFor84
>
> No, "open items" is a list of tasks that must be completed before
> release, not a wishlist.

Moving this to a more appropriate list as not to bore all the hackers with
wiki minutia.

After a bit of research I realized the original Wishlist page and format,
which was quite active circa late 8.3, isn't really relevant anymore.  I
just streamlined it to the parts that still make sense, which is just the
initial proposals (few of them actually executed anyway).

I was trying to avoid creating a new page just for open-items.  On the
original developer's wiki, there was an expansion of special-purpose pages
for single tasks related to 8.3 that were really kind of confusing by the
end.  I cleaned up a lot of that and would prefer not to go through that
again.

With that in mind, here's what I think makes sense:

-Rename "ToDo:WishlistFor84" to "Proposed 8.4 Projects" since that's what
it really ended up being.  While not strictly necessary, it suggests how a
page like that should be named when the next release cycle starts, and
that old page title needs to get rid of the old ToDo: baggage anyway.

-Create a "PostgreSQL 8.4.0 Development Archive" that all the no longer
active pages can start moving to.  The goal will be that ultimately it
will have *every* 8.4 page on it, as the main "Development Information"
page moves to tracking the next version.  Push the page above
(Wishlist->Proposed) and GSoC pages onto there as initial no longer
mainstream content.

-Create a new "PostgreSQL 8.4 Release" page that tracks that process.
Populate it right now with the "Open Items" list.  That gives a place to
put other final release-oriented notes at, since the CommitFest pages are
no longer going to be the place everything interesting is happening at.

I'm not sure whether that's the right title for the last page, part of why
I didn't just do all of the above already.  But I think it's more
appropriate to create a page addressing the 8.4 release checklist, with
the coding "Open Items" just being the first section there, rather then
creating a page for every individual task.  Maybe that's a better
name--"PostgreSQL 8.4 Checklist"?

Anyway, just wanted to start kicking around ideas for how to usefully
organize the end of the release cycle on the Wiki, which includes a bit of
thinking about how that will smoothly transition to the next release.