Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Henrik wrote:

> 4 x 146 GB SAS disk in RAID 1+0 for database
> 6 x 750 GB SATA disks in RAID 1+0 or RAID 5 for OS and transactions logs.

The transaction logs are not that big, and there's very little value to
striping them across even two disks.  You should just get more SAS disks
instead and make them available to the database, adding more spindles for
random I/O is much more important.  Separating out a single RAID-1 pair
from that set to hold the logs is a reasonable practice, with a good
battery-backed controller even that might not buy you anything useful.