Re: Best practice to load a huge table from ORACLE to PG

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Best practice to load a huge table from ORACLE to PG
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Adonias Malosso wrote:

> The current approach is to dump the data in CSV and than COPY it to
> Postgresql.

You would have to comment on what you don't like about what you're doing
now, what parts need to be improved for your priorities, to get a properly
targeted answer here.

> I�d like to know what�s the best practice to LOAD a 70 milion rows, 101
> columns table from ORACLE to PGSQL.

There is no one best practice.  There's a wide variety of techniques on
both the Oracle and PostgreSQL side in this area that might be used
depending on what trade-offs are important to you.

For example, if the goal was to accelerate a dump of a single table to run
as fast as possible because you need , you'd want to look into techniques
that dumped that table with multiple sessions going at once, each handling
a section of that table.  Typically you'd use one session per CPU on the
server, and you'd use something with a much more direct path into the data
than SQL*PLUS.  Then on the PostgreSQL side, you could run multiple COPY
sessions importing at once to read this data all back in, because COPY
will bottleneck at the CPU level before the disks will if you've got
reasonable storage hardware.

There's a list of utilities in this are at
http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/SQL*Loader_FAQ#Is_there_a_SQL.2AUnloader_to_download_data_to_a_flat_file.3F
you might look for inspiration in that area, I know the WisdomForce
FastReader handles simultaneous multi-section dumps via a very direct path
to the data.

...but that's just one example based on one set of priorities, and it will
be expensive in terms of dollars and complexity.

As another example of something that changes things considerably, if
there's any data with errors that will cause COPY to abort you might
consider a different approach on the PG side.