Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: advocacy: drupal and PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> Furthermore I think that developing in such a MySQLish centric way
> will make MUCH harder to support any other DB not only PostgreSQL and
> freedom of choice is very important to me.

Having helped out a bit getting Postnuke working better with PostgreSQL, I
can tell you that didn't go far until the developers really embraced using
ADOdb and were targeting >2 engines at once (MS SQL was the other one they
really worked on).

The only work I've seen for Drupal with similar focus all involves the PDO
library, as alluded to in the post you mentioned:

http://drupal.org/node/134580
http://edin.no-ip.com/html/?q=code_siren_unofficial_drupal_6_x_database_driver_supporting

The problem with PDO is that it requires PHP5, which means it will be
years until it's on enough shared hosts etc. that the mainstream Drupal
version can require it.

I'm not really surprised that their developers are sick of the one hack at
a time approach to supporting PostgreSQL, but it seems quite some time
before they'll have something better, or that they'll support even more
storage engines.