Re: tsearch dictionaries and stop words

От Oleg Bartunov
Тема Re: tsearch dictionaries and stop words
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Robert,

I'm very busy right now, please search mailing list archives for
exactly the same question and several postings related to this topic.
I had hoped someone could write documentation :-(

current tsearch is not flexible as OpenFTS and we hope to return
to development in 1st quarter of 2003 year.

If you want to create your own dictionaries you could use
makedict.pl.

    Oleg
On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Robert John Shepherd wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The docs for tsearch don't seem to make it very clear about its use of
> dictionaries. If anyone could answer the following questions I'd be very
> grateful!
>
> 1) Do I need to specify a locale name? And if so what should I set it
> to?

Don't bother if you are from english world. Locale important for
several libc functions such as tolower.
Also, if locale name of dictionary differs from one
specified when starting postmaster, then this dictionary will not used.

> 2) What exactly is mean't to be in the file that contain the endings of
> words?

exactly what's written:

ing
isted
istic

> 3) Is it better to have as big a dictionary as possible? Does this make
> the text index more efficient?

index is more efficient if cardinality of unique words is kept small.
Dictionaries are your friend.

> TIA!
>

> Yours Unwhettedly,
> Robert John Shepherd.
>
> Editor
> DVD REVIEWER
> The UK's BIGGEST Online DVD Magazine
> http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk
>
> For a copy of my Public PGP key, email: pgp@robertsworld.org.uk

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83