Re: NIC to NIC connection

От Ben Kim
Тема Re: NIC to NIC connection
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
My 2 pence.

I think it's not a big task. If the servers are located nearby, all you
need is.

Connect the two machines:
===========================

- get a crossover patch cable (Should be crossover - you can buy or make
one by googling instructions.)

- install one extra NIC on each machine and connect the two NICs using the
crossover cable

- give a private address to each NIC so that they share the same internal
network, like 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4.

Change connection string:
===========================

- change the database host in your ASP or JSP database connection file(s)
to this internal address. (For example, jdbc:postgresql://db.some.com/mydb
to jdbc:postgresql://192.168.0.4/mydb.)

If you are using dreamweaver, etc., if you will need to change the
connection setting there too.

In my network a bulk transfer speed through the internal link is not much
better than that of the external link. But the former is significantly
better during a busy day. (But then, the database sessions are more likely
to be interactive type of traffic...)

You also get security as a side benefit. (Data can't be snooped.)

Regards,

Ben Kim
Database Developer/Systems Administrator
College of Education
Texas A&M University