Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump --help

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump --help
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Karel Zak - Zakkr wrote:

> $ pg_dump --help
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/pg_dump: invalid option -- -
>
> hmm ?
>
> Prepare anyone long options for pg_dump, pg_passwd, pg_version ?
> If not, I make it, current state is  disgraceful.

Only GNU (Linux) systems support long options. What you consider
disgraceful is normal behavior on the majority of platforms.

I put in long options into psql and into the wrapper scripts (under some
protests). But I agree that we should if at all only provide them, not
advertise them, since it's going to be a support nightmare.

If you plan on doing this, please look there and use the same options
whereever possible. I have been trying to establish some consistent
options naming across client applications. Also check out how psql copes
with systems where there are no long options available.

Meanwhile I have been getting closer to resolving to scratch pg_dump and
write a new one for 7.1, so whatever you do now might not live long. :(