Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] update_pg_pwd
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> >     I  wonder  if  it is properly defined. Shouldn't it return at
> >     least a valid type to be callable via SQL?
>
> opr_sanity is complaining because the declared return type is 0.
> I am not very happy about taking out opr_sanity's check on return types;
> perhaps I should lobby to have Opaque-valued trigger functions be
> declared with an actually valid return-type OID.  What do you think?

Please don't lose me here. Did I do something wrong? Isn't oid 0 used for
opaque return types? What should an opaque function return in C? I don't
see a good reason from a practical point of view to disallow opaque
functions as triggers, for this very reason, achieving none-database side
effects. At least the create trigger command should say something if it
doesn't like it.

If you have to tailor functionality around the regression tests, this is
not the right direction. After all 0 is a valid oid in this context: it's
opaque.