Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0  (Rolf Grossmann <grossman@securitas.net>)
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Perhaps this is a good time to ask when and how any fix to this should be
> > applied.
>
> This is arguably a bug fix, so you needn't worry about it being beta
> phase.

I'm not sure how this works now: Do I just commit it to the tree, so it
will be in when, say, beta2 gets generated?

> I take it you are considering "only read psqlrc if stdin is a tty",

This is how shells work, that's always my default decision for unchartered
territory. (Of course psql is not a shell, but that's why we're discussing
...)

> Using -f would work if you hadn't already overloaded it with another
> meaning;

Huh, "-f" is not a new option. "-f" is different from "<" because of two
reasons: 1) if they were the same, we wouldn't need one of them, and 2) a
program should behave the same independent of what kind of device its
standard input comes from. (That's why "<" doesn't print out error
messages with line numbers.) This is an ideal state of course.

[5 min later ...]

Ah, a tcsh user! ;) I could go for an -X option to suppress reading the
startup file, with default being that it is read in any mode. A pretty
dump option letter, but not all that far-fetched.