Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0

От Rolf Grossmann
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

on Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:59:48 +0100 (MET) Peter Eisentraut wrote
concerning "Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0 " something like this:

> (Of course psql is not a shell, but that's why we're discussing ...)

Now, be careful with this statement. Personally, I have already tried to
use psql as a shell and I think it would be really cool if you could just
write #!/path/to/psql -f to write sql scripts.
However, that would require psql to treat # as a comment starter and we're
moving away from SQL standards with that. So I'm a bit weary of suggesting
such a thing.

>> Using -f would work if you hadn't already overloaded it with another
>> meaning;

> [5 min later ...]

> Ah, a tcsh user! ;) I could go for an -X option to suppress reading the
> startup file, with default being that it is read in any mode. A pretty
> dump option letter, but not all that far-fetched.

Uhm ... my tcsh manual describes those options differently:
      -f  The shell ignores ~/.tcshrc, and thus starts faster.      -X  Is to -x as -V is to -v.

Of course, as we have noted above, psql is not a shell, so I wonder if
that's the way to go. Personally, I'd say just pick a letter.

Bye, Rolf