Getting started in a hosting environment.

От C. Bensend
Тема Getting started in a hosting environment.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello folks,

    I want to state right off the bat that I _know_
these are very basic questions, and most can be answered
with an understanding of SQL.  I am very new to databases,
but I am _not_ asking for answers.  You folks have much
more important (or fun) things to do with your time.  :)

    What I'm asking for is pointers/URLs/known
gotchas, that people with much more experience might be
able to give me.  I can do my own reading and put in my
own time learning this.  I'd just like a little help
starting out.

I need to:

    * Give a handful of users their own databases
    * They should have admin access over said databases,
      but should not be able to create new databases
    * They should be able to add users, etc, but not
      be able to give admin access to users
    * They should have full control; ie, they should
      be able to drop tables, add users, etc - but
      ONLY for _their_ database
    * The postgres user should be the only one that
      is the 'superuser'

    I host a handful of websites for good friends of
mine.  I have built out a machine to run PostgreSQL, but
now I'm at a bit of a loss on where to go.  PostgreSQL is
installed and happy.  I can handle the access rules for
Postgres (pg_hba.conf), that's no big deal.  I'm just
kinda lost within the database itself.

    Could any of you recommend some good resources for
configuring a "hosting" environment for Postgres?

I appreciate any hints/tips/HOWTOs/etc that this well-learned
group could offer me.  Thanks!  :)

Benny

ps:  If it's important, this DB is running on OpenBSD
2.9, PostgreSQL 7.1.2 (thanks Brendan!), PII-233 (for now),
196M of RAM.  I have 36G of disk dedicated to PostgreSQL
on a separate IDE channel, with 7G of OS space on the
primary IDE.