Password thread (was: Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO list)

От Louis Bertrand
Тема Password thread (was: Re: [HACKERS] Updated TODO list)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Agreed: over the wire is _very_ important. The question remains: does the
pgsql development team want to take on the responsibility of implementing
such a scheme at the application layer? There are plenty of very good
link/network/transport layer schemes in existence already. You'd just
be reinventing.

In a benign environment you don't worry about securing the wire (as with
protocols like telnet/rlogin, ftp and POP/IMAP). In a more cautious
environment, you apply well-known and understood encryption/authentication
schemes at a layer below the application (IPsec, SSH, SSL, Java security,
Kerberos, and there are plenty in the Microsoft world too).

But above all: do not store passwords in cleartext. It makes it
ridiculously easy for an attacker to take over user accounts.  Let's say
they're kiddies who cracked root just by using a widely available exploit,
then, for free, they get the rest of the passwords in clear. Bonus!

Ciao--Louis  <louis@bertrandtech.on.ca>

Louis Bertrand       http://www.bertrandtech.on.ca
Bertrand Technical Services, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
Tel: +1.905.623.8925  Fax: +1.905.623.3852

OpenBSD: Secure by default.  http://www.openbsd.org/