Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases

От Michael Fork
Тема Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Just a thought, but couldn't you create a sequence that is referenced by
multiple tables, ie:

CREATE SEQUENCE test_seq;

CREATE TABLE tblclients {client_id    default nextval('test_seq'::text),...}

CREATE TABLE tblbills {bill_id        default nextval('test_seq'::text),...}

and so on...

I have never tried this, but i don't see why it wouldn't work....

Michael Fork - CCNA - MCP - A+
Network Support - Toledo Internet Access - Toledo Ohio

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Tom,
>
> > By and large I'd recommend using a serial column in preference to OIDs,
> > though, for two reasons:
> >
> > 1. dump/restore is more practical that way (don't have to worry about
> >    saving/reloading OIDs).
> >
> > 2. counter overflow problems hit you only per-table, not
> >    per-installation.
>
> Hmmm ... for some tables, switching to Serial would work.  However, one
> of the things I've done is add universal mod_data (modification stats)
> and notes tables, which have to relate via OID because they relate to
> 5-7 different tables.  To wit:
>
> CREATE TABLE notes AS (
>     ref_OID        OID,
>     staff_OID    OID    REFERENCES staff,
>     note_date    DATE,
>     note_text    TEXT
>     )
>
> And the ref_oid relates to any of 5 different tables, thus allowing a
> single table to hold notes on clients, candidates, bills, etc.  Very
> elegant, and using serials instead of the OID not possible.
>
> SO I'm concerned about the problems you mentioned above.  pg_dump has a
> -o option; are there problems with this?  And how liekly are counter
> overflow problems?
>
> Josh Berkus
>

> --
> ______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
>                                         Josh Berkus
>    Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com
>     and data management solutions       (415) 436-9166
>    for law firms, small businesses       fax  436-0137
>     and non-profit organizations.       pager 338-4078
>                                 San Francisco

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases
Сообщение: Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases