Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases
Дата
Re: OID Perfomance - Object-Relational databases  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-sql
Tom,

> By and large I'd recommend using a serial column in preference to OIDs,
> though, for two reasons:
>
> 1. dump/restore is more practical that way (don't have to worry about
>    saving/reloading OIDs).
>
> 2. counter overflow problems hit you only per-table, not
>    per-installation.

Hmmm ... for some tables, switching to Serial would work.  However, one
of the things I've done is add universal mod_data (modification stats)
and notes tables, which have to relate via OID because they relate to
5-7 different tables.  To wit:

CREATE TABLE notes AS (ref_OID        OID,staff_OID    OID    REFERENCES staff,note_date    DATE,note_text    TEXT)

And the ref_oid relates to any of 5 different tables, thus allowing a
single table to hold notes on clients, candidates, bills, etc.  Very
elegant, and using serials instead of the OID not possible.

SO I'm concerned about the problems you mentioned above.  pg_dump has a
-o option; are there problems with this?  And how liekly are counter
overflow problems?
Josh Berkus

--
______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete