Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 release

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 release
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Incompatibilities is a simple concept..if it requires an initdb, its
incompatible, period...if a pg_dump has to be performed, its
incompatible...if it requires me to do more then a 'make install' and a
restart of the server, its incompatible...if it requires me to recompile
any of my binaries, its incompatible...

Not all changes that are made require changes to system tables...

On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 1999-12-10, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
>
> > Maybe we just call it 7.0, and have some more incompatibility stuff in
> > 7.1.  Seems waiting for some .0 release is not going to work, unless we
> > scrap the Feb 1 beta and just wait for all new stuff to be finished, but
> > that seems worse than having a 7.1 that contains some incompatiblities.
>
> What kind of incompatibilities are we talking about here really? Is there
> anything that can't be resolved via
> * big warning signs
> * pg_dump or (to be created) friends
> * supporting the old stuff for a while as well
> * automated conversion of the things using the old stuff
> * informative documents outlining the reason of the change and how to
> cope with it?
>
> Things change all the time, that's a fact of life.
>
> If foreign keys get done this is definitely the greatest thing in the
> world for the end user, so 7.0 is a good name.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut                  Sernanders v�g 10:115
> peter_e@gmx.net                   75262 Uppsala
> http://yi.org/peter-e/            Sweden

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Last thoughts about LONG
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Last thoughts about LONG