Re: Thoughts on multiple simultaneous code page support

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: Thoughts on multiple simultaneous code page support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Randall Parker wrote:

> Well, to me at least the term character set does not define a mapping or encoding. It just specifies a list of
charactersand their numeric representations or mappings not included.

> To say "character set mapping" or "character set encoding" might be more complete. Though I tend to use the term
"codepage" because that's what I've heard the most down thru the years.

> If someone here wants to suggest a particular terminology to use I'd
> be happy to adopt it in this list.

codepages are used by the samba folks also, if this helps any ... I never
knew what it meant before, but now that I do, makes perfect sense ...

its like using tuples/fields vs rows/columns :)  one is right, the other
is lazy :)