Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > I thought that was going in.  According to Marc, if it sufficiently
> > > warned users, and required them to type it twice, it would do Peter's
> > > alter table code.  Perhaps Peter decided to wait for 7.1?
> >
> > I thought the rest of us beat him up until he took it out ;-)
>
> Yes, he was badly beaten up about it, but I felt that the code as is was
> pretty good, considering how bad CLUSTER is.  If people are told the
> limitations, it could be a win.

god, I hate this argument: we did it badly for CLUSTER, so its okay to do
it badly here too :(

> I felt that the more advanced features like not using 2x disk space were
> quite hard to implement, considering the other TODO items.  Marc agreed
> and was going to e-mail him to tell him that with proper user warning,
> we wanted the patch.

"agreed" is a weak word in this sense ... :)

> Do people disagree?

I don't like it, and think with some effort, it could be done better, and
will stick with that ... but if "its the best that can be done" ...
*shrug*

But, after 7.0 is released ... I still believe that the outstanding issues
were such that putting it into 7.0 was a bad thing ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org