pgsql-support 'distribution' ...

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема pgsql-support 'distribution' ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Morning all ...
I tried to jump into this a little while back, and fell flat on my
face (tried to do too much simultaneously), so tonight I started again
just trying to address one 'piece' at a time, and the end results look
promising ...
Available at ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub is a tar file called
pgsql-support.tar.gz that, right now, just contains a
"self-contained" libpq distribution (I'm going to be converting things
over one at a time)...
The idea is that there are alot of sites out there that don't need
the whole backend sources, they only need the bin/interfaces stuff, so why
download a 7+meg file.  Its also giving me a chance to play with
libtool/automake :)
Right now, if you download the above file, untar it and type:
./configurecd interfaces/libpqgmake
It will build both static and shared libraries for libpq ... or,
rather, it does on both a FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT and Solaris 2.6 machine,
both running gcc ...
The Solaris 2.6 machine I tried it on doesn't have libtool
installed on it, so everything *appears* to be packaged properly ...
There are no 'template' files, or 'Makefile.port' files or
anything like that ...
Note that the source code included in the above is not up to date
with the regular source tree, this is as much a test of a concept as
anything else.
What I'm curious about right now is how well the above works on
the various architectures ... and whether it even works on non-gcc
environments ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org