Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Stephen Birch wrote:

> By the way, I was the idiot that specified NT to our customer base in
> the first place - I consider that to be the single worst decision of
> my successful 20 year computing career.

Ouch, that must have hurt :(

> Since writing the above, I was called to attend a telecon with my
> manager and the ITS managers from our two biggest customers to discuss
> exactly this issue. The decision has been made to deploy the
> PostgreSQL based server.  We all agreed that whatever happens to
> Interbase, the personal commitment by the PostgreSQL folks is not
> likely to dry up.  Hence the code will continue to improve over time.
> I believe that they clearly understand how important reliability is to
> a database server.
>
> There is a good chance that the Borland decision will have a
> benificial ripple effect on PG as other engineers turn their attention
> to Open Source alternatives.
>
> Wish us luck, we will load the new software on our customers' servers
> for a FOT (field operational test) next week.

Good luck, and keep us informed as to how things are going ... :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

От: Stephen Birch
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Inprise/Borland releasing Interbase as Open source