Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, K.Tao wrote:

> Well I do apologize as all my experiences are in the use of pre 6.5
> versions...I assume there have no longer been any reports of databases
> having to be rebuilt or restored from tape from the way you are talking ;)
>
> Although I still feel that the level of expertise for an admin on a
> Unix platform running PostgreSQL is much higher than lets say Oracle
> on NT.  One example is if you cancel out of a admin process like
> vacuum while in pgsql. U have to have enough exp to know what files to
> go and delete to be able to get pgsql back up and running.

Actually, I believe the pg_vlock file is planned for removal in v7.0 ...
just checked the current source tree, and this hasn't happened yet, but
there was talk on -hackers about removing it since MVCC invalidates the
requirement of locking all tables in a database while doing the vacuum...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org