Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?

От K.Tao
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Well I do apologize as all my experiences are in the use of pre 6.5
versions...I assume there have no longer been any reports of databases
having to be rebuilt or restored from tape from the way you are talking ;)

Although I still feel that the level of expertise for an admin on a Unix
platform running PostgreSQL is much higher than lets say Oracle on NT.  One
example is if you cancel out of a admin process like vacuum while in pgsql.
U have to have enough exp to know what files to go and delete to be able to
get pgsql back up and running.

I do think that the commercial support program moves PostgreSQL much closer
to being a database I would choose.  I havent had the requirement for that
support, but I am sure if I had a large system utilizing PostgreSQL I would
not hesitate to pay to make sure 24x7 I can get the database back up and
runniog within 15 mins of it going down :)

I also do like the sound of getting rid of vacuum and its table locks.
Anythng to make the database more self administering and self recovering is
good ;)