Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Clark C. Evans wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I guess I figured that if we were going to do a collaborative book, we
> > would have done that with our documentation already.
>
> Seveal Reasons:
>
> (a) we didn't have the goal to write a book for profit, (b) we didn't
> have a business model, (c) we didn't have a leader.
>
> Seems we have all three now:
>
> (a) Lots of people seem to have latched on to the goal, and it is
> apparant that there is significant demand. (b) The business model
> is there, it may not be perfect, but we can nail that down once we
> have experience.   Everyone I've met in PostgreSQL is resonable;
> the inital agreement will be loose, as the book progresses the
> agreement can be tightened down as needed.  (c) We have a *sweet*
> leader, Bruce Momjian, he has proven to be on top of things -- a
> man with not only great vision, but the drive to make things tick.
>
> Are you ready to delegate?

Delegate what?  Bruce is doing this as a solo project, what would he need
to delegate? *confused look*  Now, the way I see it, he *could* have gone
off and written the book withuot letting any of us know about it, and
wihtout asking any of us for input as to how we'd like to see it look...he
didn't.

IMHO, if you feel that you need to continue along this vein, please take
it offlist and with Bruce privately...if someone else wishes to put the
time, effort and "risk of maritial status" up on the block and work on a
collaborative effort, so be it...but I personally am getting a major
distaste in my mouth from watching you trying to pressure Bruce into a
direction that he has already stated no  desire to go.  If ppl don't like
that, fine...don't buy the book when its done.  Personally, I know where
my book buying dollars are going when the time comes...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?
Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Business Plan for PostgreSQL book?