Re: [HACKERS] Contributing

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Contributing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > > What is the ideal setup to have when contributing to PG development?
> > AFAIK, the main advantage of CVSup is that you have a complete copy of
> > the CVS archive on your own machine, which means you can examine cvs
> > commit log messages, pull old versions, and so forth without having
> > to contact hub.org.  If you just use "cvs update" periodically then
> > you only have the current sources, and have to use remote cvs to do
> > things like checking log messages.
>
> The other principle advantage to CVSup is its efficiency in bringing
> over updates. It is very fast and really minimizes the bandwidth.

Is this less then when using the -z option for CVS?

> > If you've got the disk space to spare for the full archives, and have
> > a fairly slow link to hub.org, then a local archive is worthwhile.
>
> Or find that hub.org disappears occasionally, or...

We think we just licked that problem...FreeBSD 3.x and earlier has
a problem with VM fragmentation when you start swapping heavily, so we
just upgraded Hub to 768Meg of RAM from the 384Meg it was...where it used
to die once every 24hrs, its been up ~5days now...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org