Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Future?

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Future?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Adriaan Joubert wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I'vew been using Postgres since version 6.0, so for a considerable
> period of time now. I have written quite a lot of code for postgres and
> would be very reluctant to move to another database. Unfortunately quite
> a few view-related queries are broken in 6.3.4 and I would like to
> upgrade.
>
> I do have a question about the future of Postgres on Digital Alpha (we
> use almost exclusively DEC machines), as I have not managed to get any
> of the 6.4.* versions to compile or run on DEC Alpha. I downloaded the
> newest snapshot, managed to get it compiled and it failed all except 8
> regression tests. I assume that has a lot to do with the Alphas being
> 64bit machines. Are there any plans to continue to support Alpha's, or
> should I give up and look for an alternative?

There are no plans on discontinuing any of the ports that we have...the
problem is more availability of testers for them.  If you find problems
wtih any existing port of the server, please post a detailed report to
pgsql-ports@postgresql.org, if its a released version of PostgreSQL.  If
you are playing with the snapshots, post it directly to
pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org, since it might be something that we *just*
broken fixing somethign else...

We have a 1 month BETA period before a release, where we hope that those
that care about the various ports will take the time to test and run
regression tests...unfortunately, for those using it in a production
environment, this isn't always possible, so some ports get less attention
then others ;(

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org