Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Future?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Postgres Future?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Hi,
>
>     I'vew been using Postgres since version 6.0, so for a considerable
> period of time now. I have written quite a lot of code for postgres and
> would be very reluctant to move to another database. Unfortunately quite
> a few view-related queries are broken in 6.3.4 and I would like to
> upgrade.
>
> I do have a question about the future of Postgres on Digital Alpha (we
> use almost exclusively DEC machines), as I have not managed to get any
> of the 6.4.* versions to compile or run on DEC Alpha. I downloaded the
> newest snapshot, managed to get it compiled and it failed all except 8
> regression tests. I assume that has a lot to do with the Alphas being
> 64bit machines. Are there any plans to continue to support Alpha's, or
> should I give up and look for an alternative?
>
> I would be happy to compile snapshots and I can fix simple syntax bugs
> etc to help to get postgres running on Alphas again, but I cannot get it
> fixed by myself (I've tried and just got lost in the code).

Seems we manage to mess up the 64-bit Alpha platform fairly regularly,
but don't have enough people testing the betas to put out a good final
release that works on alpha 100% of the time.

We basically need someone on Alpha involved in the beta process, when
that starts, who can run tests and show backtraces of the problems.