Re: [HACKERS] template/alpha_cc

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] template/alpha_cc
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> >> $ cvs log alpha_cc
> >>
> >> RCS file: /usr/local/cvsroot/pgsql/src/template/alpha_cc,v
> >> Working file: alpha_cc
> >> head: 1.1
> >> branch:
> >> locks: strict
> >> access list:
> >> symbolic names:
> >> keyword substitution: kv
> >> total revisions: 1;     selected revisions: 1
> >> ----------------------------
> >> revision 1.1
> >> date: 1998/12/18 07:08:02;  author: momjian;  state: Exp;
> >> etc etc...
> >>
> >> There's no REL6_4 tag, therefore this file does not exist as far as
> >> the 6.4.* branch is concerned.  (Same deal as with discussion of
> >> vacuumdb a day or two ago.)  Bruce could've applied a REL6_4 tag to
> >> the file when he created it, but did not.
> >>
> >> Do we want to continue updating the REL6_4 branch for stuff like this?
> >> Or is it time to declare 6.4.2 the last of that branch and press forward
> >> with 6.5 beta test?
> >
> >Nothing new gets added to the REL6_4 branch, period.  Personally, there
> >also will never be a v6.4.3, so the REL6_4 branch effectively died the day
> >v6.4.2 was released...
>
> That's fine. I'm just curious why that file once existed in 6.4,
> vanished in 6.4.2, then appears in current.

According to the log file, this was only created on Dec 18th, after v6.4
was released (see below)...looking at the v6.4.2 distribution, there is a
template for just 'alpha' that was added June 12, 1998...this split
doesn't appear to have been done for/before teh v6.4.2 split though...

> cvs log alpha_cc | more

RCS file: /usr/local/cvsroot/pgsql/src/template/alpha_cc,v
Working file: alpha_cc
head: 1.1
branch:
locks: strict
access list:
symbolic names:
keyword substitution: kv
total revisions: 1;     selected revisions: 1
----------------------------
revision 1.1
date: 1998/12/18 07:08:02;  author: momjian;  state: Exp;
Attached is a patch with some fixes that (I think that) should go into
6.4.1. Here is the list:

- The type int8 now works. In fact, the bug(s) were in
src/backend/port/snprintf.c, so int8 is probably broken in every platform
that hasn't a native snprintf/vsnprintf. The type itself worked as
expected, only the output was wrong. Anyway, this patch should be checked
in other platforms.

- The regression tests for int2 and int4, which were broken due to
differences in the error messages, are fixed.

- The regression test for float8, which was broken in the reference
platform, is also fixed. I don't know if the new file (float8-OSF1.out)
will work on other platforms, but it might be worth to try it.

- Two new template files are provided (alpha_cc, which includes
optimization, and alpha_gcc), and src/templates/.similar is updated
accordingly. src/templates/alpha should be removed from the distribution.
*IMPORTANT NOTE*: I don't know if you can use gcc to compile postgres;
I've written the alpha_gcc file because alpha_cc has some flags that are
specific to DEC C.

- There is a (very basic) Digital Unix specific FAQ in
doc/FAQ_DigitalUnix.

Pedro Jos<E9> Lobo Perea                   Tel:    +34 91 336 78 19

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org