Re: About PostgreSQL 6.3.2

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: About PostgreSQL 6.3.2
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Silvio M P Paiva wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I hope I sent this e-mail to the right place. This is my very first time
> asking something to you!
>
> I started using PostgreSQL since I built a Linux based networking,
> working with TCP/IP and Insight'ODBC-32bit to connect.
>
> I'd like to know following:
> - how many users can connect to PostgreSQL through this protocol
> together? Is there a users limit?

    I believe there is a hard limit of 32 simultaneous connects, that
can be raised by recompiling...

> - how to create triggers in PostgreSQL? Could anyone send me a simple
> update trigger to get the idea?
> - what kind of machine I should use to get more then 50 connections in a
> multiuser enviroment without problems with performance of backend
> crashes?

    FreeBSD, of course :)  Actually, as far as the 'free' OSs are
concerned, from talking to ppl in the Linux camp, Linux still does not
scale very well for "large servers".  I don't know if 50 connections would
be considered "large server", but the word I hear is that Linux's
schedualer still has its problems, so doesn't do *alot* of processes
particularly well..

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org