Re: [HACKERS] patch for memory overrun on Linux(i386)

От The Hermit Hacker
Тема Re: [HACKERS] patch for memory overrun on Linux(i386)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Some things just require confirmation...can someone else (Thomas?) running
Linux comment on this before I apply it?  I just find it kinda unexpected
to see something that doesn't work for SCO doesn't work for Linux too :)

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Maurice Gittens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It turns of that one of the bugs I detected with Electric Fence
> is caused by an assumption that memory return by palloc and malloc
> is aligned on 8 bytes boundaries (double alignment).
> Adjusting this to correspond with the reality of the malloc
> implementation on my pentium based linux box fixes the problem.
>
> The following simple patch to include/utils/memutils.h
> will fix the problem.
>
> 85c85
> < #if ! defined(sco)
> ---
> > #if ! defined(sco) && !defined(linux)
>
> There is still another buffer overrun which I will try to find.
> The remaining one is triggered by creating a sequence.
>
> I hope this patch will be applied if it makes sense to
> you guys.
>
> With regards from Maurice.

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org