Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?

От
Тема Re: Favorite Linux Editor for PostgreSQL Scripts?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote:

> I'm still new to the Linux world, and do not have a bias for editor choice.
> I have one colleague that uses Emacs, but another is worried it leads to
> RSI and carpel tunnel syndrome, because the hands are on the keyboard all
> the time.

I lean towards emacs.  But, ....  There is some evidence to
suggest that RSI (including carpal tunnel syndrome) is in part
"socially acceptable", and that has something to do with its
prevalence.  The statistics are wishy-washy, like a lot of things
biological, but it seems that if you live in a culture where
RSI is socially acceptable, you stand a larger chance of catching
(or getting) it, for the same exposure to some environment.  This
isn't to say that the pain is imagined, they can instrument
people, and they can see that pain signals are being transmitted,
so something of it is real.  I think the jury is still out on
just what is necessary and sufficient conditions to get it.

I've always believed that if I do a couple of things, I will lower
my chance to get it.
 1) Every 20-40 minutes, get away from the computer for a few
    minutes.  Let the eyes focus on some distance other than 18
    inches (or whatever).  Stretch the wrist in the 4
    (predominant) directions of movement: flexion, extention,
    rotation clockwise, rotation counter-clockwise.  I've never
    looked into the side to side motions (or done anything).
    Drinking caffienated beverages is good, it forces you to
    go to the bathroom if nothing else (getting away from the
    computer).
 2) Keep your wrists (heck, your whole body) strong.  Get to the
    gym once in a while.  Do exercises which require stronger
    muscles/tendons/ligaments in the area of the wrist.
I don't think the above works as far as rehab goes, if you already
have symptoms, I think you need to get your doctor involved.  But
as a prophylactic, I think the above works.  Or, at least it seems
to for me.

Gord
--
Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President