Re: Creating Log file - run in background.

От ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Тема Re: Creating Log file - run in background.
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, John Burski wrote:

> Here's what the command is supposed to do:
>
>      nohup - Execute the following command, making it immune to "hangups" and
>      with output to a non-tty device.

Comes from hanging up the phone line connection to your computer.
nohup => NO Hang UP

>      < /dev/null - Input is redirected from the bit-bucket.  (Don't ask me why -
>      I've not looked closely enough at the nitty-gritty to understand that yet).

When you read /dev/null, you immediately get
end of file.  Therefore, things don't get stalled
waiting for input.

>      >> /usr/local/pgsql/data/server.log - Redirect anything output to stdout to
>      this file.

Actually append.  But yes it is a redirect.

>      2>>1 - Redirect and append anything output to stderr to stdout.  This
>      causes both stdout and stderr to be logged in the same file

stdin is known as file descriptor 0,
stdout is known as file descriptor 1,
stderr is known as file descriptor 2,

So, above "binds" stderr and stdout and redirects to file.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)