Re: Creating Log file - run in background.

От John Burski
Тема Re: Creating Log file - run in background.
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
It looks like the "> >" between the "-D" (postmaster command line option) and the
"/usr/local/pgsql/data" filename are continuations in your e-mail window.

The ">>" between the "/dev/null" filename and the "/user/local/.../server.log"
filename are meant to redirect the output to stdout (standard output, usually the
screen) and append it the file name that follows, in this case
"/usr/local/.../server.log".

Here's what the command is supposed to do:

     nohup - Execute the following command, making it immune to "hangups" and
     with output to a non-tty device.

     /usr/local/.../postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data - Execute the postmaster
     program, using /usr/local/pgsql/data directory as the root of the tree of
     database directories.

     < /dev/null - Input is redirected from the bit-bucket.  (Don't ask me why -
     I've not looked closely enough at the nitty-gritty to understand that yet).

     >> /usr/local/pgsql/data/server.log - Redirect anything output to stdout to
     this file.

     2>>1 - Redirect and append anything output to stderr to stdout.  This
     causes both stdout and stderr to be logged in the same file

     & - Run in the background.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

--